Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tradition can't live in a country of flash.

     It's funny how the most popular sport in the world, soccer, is one of the least popular here in the United States. Being a universal sport, here in America the people do not really follow it to the extent that other countries do. In Europe and Latin America, people live by soccer and are true fans who actually bleed for their team. Here in America, it seems the people want flashy sports and want instant gratification. They say soccer is boring because they rarely score and it gets repetitive. They rather watch football or basketball, the most popular here in America. Though I enjoy these sports as well, I've never felt the passion for it as I have soccer. Something about soccer makes me feel part of something that has a cause behind it. When World Cup comes around, I actually take time out of what I am doing to watch a game. I won't do it for any other sport and there are many others here that feel like me. The funny thing is the people that enjoy soccer are the most passionate of all fans and see soccer as a way of life. I don't see how that could be unpopular here. It seems to be all flash and trends we follow. For example, in soccer I cheer for Mexico because that is my heritage. Every Mexico game I see, I am swelled with pride of who I am and am devastated when we lose. I also watch football and am a raider fan, but I don't feel the connection to the team like I do with soccer.
     The funny thing about fans here is that many choose teams on things such as cool uniforms. Many people like the Lakers just because they have Kobe Bryant and are good, yet they never been to Los Angeles. I see that a lot here in America and I feel a traditional sport like soccer gets left in the shadows.It is a wonderful sport I wish we embraced more. There is nothing more passionate and even people here do not even cheer for the American team. They pay attention to Europe where it is a big thing and care less on their National team. Maybe it is the lack of passion in America. Sometimes I wish it was how it used to be in the old days where people lived with passion, and weren't sucked in to flash and marketing. That is all sports seem to be today.

2 comments:

  1. I found your post very interesting. As a soccer fan myself, I totally see where you are coming from. However, I do have some hope that the MLS will step it up in the next few years, and maybe then the U.S. will enjoy more soccer hype.

    As for your grammar:

    In the second sentence, I would get rid of “Being a universal sport” and just begin with “In America”. I see the point you’re trying to make, but it just sounds a bit awkward. Also, you keep writing “the people” when just writing “people” would be fine.

    You wrote: “In Europe and Latin America, people live by soccer and are true fans who actually bleed for their team.” I would change “live by” to “live for” and I would change “who actually” for “that”.

    You then wrote: “They say soccer is boring because they rarely score and it gets repetitive.” I believe your first “they” refers to many Americans and your second “they” refers to players. Make that clear.

    You wrote: “Though I enjoy these sports as well, I've never felt the passion for it as I have soccer.” ‘Sports’ is plural and ‘it’ is singular, so they do not match. I would change “it” for “them”. Also, do not forget the “for” in front of “soccer”.

    When you wrote, “When World Cup comes around…” I would add "a" or "the" in front of “World Cup”.

    “I won't do it for any other sport and there are many others here that feel like me.” I was a bit lost when I read this sentence. I think by “others” you meant “other people” and by “here” you meant “in the U.S.”.

    You wrote: “Every Mexico game I see, I am swelled with pride of who I am and am devastated when we lose.” I think you could rewrite the sentence as: “Every time I see Mexico play, I am swelled with pride and I am devastated when they lose.” (By the way, I totally know the feeling, and gosh we are devastated too often)

    In the last sentence of your first paragraph, you should capitalize the name of the team and maybe add an “s” to read “Raiders”.

    In the second sentence of the second paragraph, add “have” between “they” and “never”.

    “There is nothing more passionate and even people here do not even cheer for the American team.” In this sentence you leave readers wondering, ‘there is nothing more passionate than what?’ Personally, I would rewrite this sentence as: “There is nothing more passionate than soccer. Even Americans do not cheer for the U.S. national team.”

    Also, you do not need to capitalize “national” unless you’re naming an organization or association.

    Try to read your post out loud and clarify your ideas. Finish one thought before you jump into another. Hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete