Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wrong Impressions.

    In a society so focused upon image and physical characteristics, it seems we proceed to judge people on how they look before they get to know them. I constantly hear people say "That person looks so trashy" or "Damn, that guy looks like he will rob someone". I can not understand why we think we know what a person is about, when we know nothing about them. In this era, we thrive off stereotypes and image too much and especially here in Los Angeles you get people who think they are better than someone because o what they wear or car they drive. People do not even seek a relationship with a person who has a good personality and honest soul but look for "attractive" people who seem to always have a nasty chip on their shoulder.
       I feel I am always misjudged by my image before people even get to know me. I know the person that I am and when I hear what people thought about me before they spoken to me baffles me. People always think I am some wanna be cholo who can not articulate. I know I am far from that and it seems people look at me like I am a bad person, yet they know nothing of me. I may be Mexican and have short hair but I do not have a short heart. Many times people do not attempt to approach me on their hunch that I am mean and some "macho" man. The funny part is I am the opposite. I know I am a very kind person with a big heart and good qualities. Just because I dress a certain way and have a certain look, does not have an impact on my personality. Then, people tell me to clean up my image to prevent this. The way I see it is instead of me changing how look, how about you change how you think about people before knowing them.
      I actually find it funny sometimes and play with it. Many times people do not know that I am educated and for them to hear me talk intellectually shocks them. People never believe that I am an avid reader and seeker of knowledge. They think I am shallow and I am not at all. When people get to know me, I laugh at how they seemed shocked to learn certain aspects of me. One instance I was pulled over by a police officer in Irvine when I was on my way to work. I drive a Honda Civic to top off my stereotype and it was filled with three other mexicans so of course they would take a second look. I was working an event there and in front of my boss was pulled over by the police. He asked me my business here, where I am from, have I ever been arrested, etc. For a laugh, I used big words and had a professional mannerism about me so it made him look stupid. He found it weird for me to not have a warrant or any tattoos. This happens to me constantly but it feels good to prove people wrong. I will never change my image, but maybe people can change their train of thought.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog very much since I think a lot of us can relate to your story in our own way. I think you had a good structure and explained yourself well.
    There were a few grammatical errors I found..ex "I know the person that I am and when I hear what people thought about me before they spoken to me baffles me."
    It was well written overall I would just suggest working on your sentence structure a bit more.

    ReplyDelete